Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The still life food shot

Today I bought some stuff because I wanted to photograph food and spices. I went to the store to buy a chopping board, salt and pepper shakers, some peppers, tomatoes etc...I guess if I wanted to make this photo look good, I'm gonna have to spend money on it. I had to replace our plastic chopping board with a wood one because wood is more pleasing to the eye on photos. I bought generic looking shakers so I don't have to worry about trademarks and stuff like that, keep that in mind if you do stock photos such as myself.

For these shots I used 2 lights. 2 softboxes, a black and blue backdrop, and my 70mm and 35mm lenses.
I used my overhead light as my main light to simulate a ceiling light and then I used 1 light on either side of the shot as a fill light. For the opposite side of the fill light I used a white reflector to gently fill in the shadows. Worked awesome for me as it didn't give me a harsh burning light that I am trying to prevent on shots like these.
































One tip I can give you is to give your shots a bit of depth. You can do this by lighting the scene unevenly. Shadows aren't bad at all, as long as it's not distracting.

No comments:

Post a Comment