Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The HorusBennu LX-2T ballhead


I was looking for an upgrade for my existing ballhead online that has better capacity than the one I had before. Something that can handle more than 4 pounds which is my older ballheads capacity. I found this in ebay and became curious about the HorusBennu name.

HorusBennu from what I've read is a Korean based company that makes tripods and support systems for cameras. They even have cases and lenses of their own. Basically it's a Korean company but the products are still made in China. I know that whenever some people hear made in China that they stay away from it due to quality issues. So I decided to go on youtube to watch some product reviews of HorusBennu products. I was surprised that actually a lot of people liked their products...especially their tripod systems. Heck they even have carbon fiber tripods for like half the price of the well known brands.

So I decided to order this from a Korean seller in ebay. We actually went back and forth haggling for the price until the guy decided to sell it to me for $50.00 shipped to the USA. Then the long wait began.

Ordering overseas is so much cheaper, although you'd have to wait for like 2 weeks till you get your loot. Honestly, if someone sells it here for $20.00 more I'd still buy it. Although the HorusBennu name I think was so new that it wasn't being sold here yet. 2 weeks later and my ballhead was finally here!

My first impressions were that, the ballhead was pretty well made. Pretty sturdy, and it had that high quality feel that was better than other sub $40.00 models from China. The specs said that it actually can hold up to 18kg...which I highly doubt. Ballheads usually have specs that are way too exaggerated that what they really are. Though this one seemed to hold better than the lighter cheaper ballheads. It comes with one Arca swiss compatible mounting plate...which actually locks in place to avoid the camera falling out of the ballhead when the locking screw is loose...which I think is a very good feature.

I installed it into my tripod and tried it out. I was impressed. The only gripes I had about it was the ball somehow slips a little when you hold it in a position, so you had to compensate a little bit. This usually is non existent in higher quality ballheads. Also, be careful when tightening the ballhead into the tripod. I managed to strip my panning lock when I tightened mine. In my opinion, it shouldn't strip that easily especially when you are installing it into the tripod. It still holds but not as good when it was brand new.

For the price, you really can't beat this good value. Although if you have more money to spend on a ballhead, go get yourself a higher end one.

No comments:

Post a Comment