Wednesday, May 30, 2012

More samples from my Canon 400mm f/5.6


A blue Heron diving for food.

So I've been really digging this Canon 400mm f/5.6 that I recently purchased. I have also purchased a carbon fiber monopod to basically use with it. The 400mm has a neat tripod collar that I use to attach it to the monopod. I've gone out to use it a couple of times to shoot birds in our local nature center, and usually I go home really happy. As I've said in my review, the 400mm f/5.6 has excellent focusing abilities. I activated the additional focus points on my Canon 5D MK2 to compliment the ai servo mode to capture birds in flight, and still works excellent with an aftermarket teleconverter attached.


A cormorant flapping its wings.

Robins are excellent to take pictures of. They are everywhere plus they are not so scared of people.

I caught this one with a fish in the birds mouth

The excellent focusing on the 400mm allows you to shoot birds in flight, slow or fast.


Most of these shots are cropped. Even when the images are cropped, the subjects still look pretty decent. The superb optics of the 400mm give you the ability to sharpen or crop your images with minimal image quality loss, even when paired with a teleconverter.

I think I'll use it more often this summer. I've never had this much birds shots since I started photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment